Earl Weaver, inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1996, was manager of the Baltimore Orioles for 17 years (1968-1982 and 1985-1986). The legend, who died in 2013, once said that baseball is all "pitching, defense, and the three-run homer." This contest is dedicated to The Earl of Baltimore.
The 2017 Baseball Issue will be edited by Publisher/Chief Baseball Officer Andrew Keating, who will also select finalists. Keating will also oversee the production of the "5 Years of Cobalt Baseball" anthology to be published following the fifth baseball issue. More information on this work-in-progress below.
We are looking for creative non-fiction/essays that come hard and straight down the pipe; fiction that throws us a curveball; and poetry that reinvigorates our love for the game. Any written work (including scholarly essays) on the amazing game of baseball is welcomed!
Only entries submitted through this category will be considered for the prize. Works solicited by Cobalt may appear in the issue, but will not be prize-eligible.
Regardless of genre, each work should have baseball as a central theme or key component.
Before anything else, you should check out the last four baseball issues.
- Fiction, non-fiction, poetry, and experimental writing are welcome for this contest. There are no length requirements; just don't send us a book-length work (excerpts are totally fine).
- Files should be submitted in .doc/.docx (preferred, to expedite editing) or PDF format.
- One story/essay/poem per entry. You may submit multiple works, but must enter them separately, paying separate entry fees.
- The entry fee for this contest is $7.00 per submission (a small increase from previous years, meant to help defray some of the design and setup costs of the "5 Years of Cobalt Baseball" book that will follow this year's issue).
- We have a preference for previously unpublished works; however, we gladly accept previously-published work for the baseball issue and prize. Publication status will not in any way disqualify your work from winning the prize; however, Cobalt must have the ability to publish/reprint the work in order for it to be considered.
- Submission Periods: February 12 (pitchers and catchers report) though July 11, 2017 (All-Star Game).
- Submissions will be reviewed, accepted/declined on a rolling basis.
- One winner will be selected and awarded $100.00, as well as publication in both the baseball issue and the subsequent "5 Years of Cobalt Baseball" print anthology.
- Each author appearing in the "5 Years" book, to be released after the 2017 World Series, will receive a complimentary copy of the anthology.
Cobalt retains the right to anthologize works published in all issues. All other rights revert to the author.
The "5 Years of Cobalt Baseball" Anthology
Exact plans for this publication, which will appear in paperback following the 2017 World Series, are TBD. The book will contain all works published in the first five baseball issues, as well as additional solicited works and exclusive content. All contributors will receive a free copy of this collection upon publication, and discounted pricing will be available through Cobalt for purchasing additional copies.