Earl Weaver, inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1996, was manager of the Baltimore Orioles for 17 years (1968-1982 and 1985-1986). The legend, who died in 2013, once said that baseball is all "pitching, defense, and the three-run homer." This contest is dedicated to The Earl of Baltimore.
The 2018 Baseball Issue will be edited by Publisher/Chief Baseball Officer Andrew Keating, who will also select finalists.
We are looking for creative non-fiction/essays that come hard and straight down the pipe; fiction that throws us a curveball; and poetry that reinvigorates our love for the game. Any written work (including scholarly essays) on the amazing game of baseball is welcomed!
Only entries submitted through this category will be considered for the prize. Works solicited by Cobalt may appear in the issue, but will not be prize-eligible.
Regardless of genre, each work should have baseball as a central theme or key component.
Before anything else, you should check out the last five baseball issues.
- Fiction, non-fiction, poetry, and experimental writing are welcome for this contest. There are no length requirements; just don't send us a book-length work (excerpts are totally fine).
- Files should be submitted in .doc/.docx (preferred, to expedite editing) or PDF format.
- One story/essay/poem per entry. You may submit multiple works, but must enter them separately, paying separate entry fees.
- The entry fee for this contest is $7.00 per submission.
- We have a preference for previously unpublished works; however, we gladly accept previously-published work for the baseball issue and prize. Publication status will not in any way disqualify your work from winning the prize; however, Cobalt must have the ability to publish/reprint the work in order for it to be considered.
- Submissions close at 11:59 EST on September 15, 2018.
- Submissions will be reviewed and accepted/declined on a rolling basis.
- One winner will be selected and awarded $100.00.
- Finalists and semifinalists will be published in the annual baseball issue, published in October 2018.
Cobalt retains the right to anthologize works published in all issues. All other rights revert to the author.
The "5 Years of Cobalt Baseball" Anthology
This book will be released near the start of the 2018 MLB season (likely mid-April). Submitters to this year's contest will be able to purchase a discounted copy of the anthology as pre-order or after the release. Use the payment options on this form to order a discounted copy with your submission.